Friday, August 24, 2012

Painting a Chair and Adding a Cushion...So Easy!

This chair has been sitting in our shed for over a year.  I bought it at an auction years ago, because, well, hmmmm, I like chairs.  I always think I can paint them up and give them new life.  Well this poor sucker has been waiting for years to get a face lift.


I always thought the color of this thing was awful!  Downright nasty!  Yikes...started painting it this awesome red and almost forgot to take my before picture.  As you can see, I was impatient and did not prime the wood.  When painting wood, you want to rough it up first, prime it and then paint.  Yes, I was lazy and will probably kick myself later...won't be the first time. 


I had this fabric and picked up the foam and Joanne Fabrics.  I rounded the foam on the corners to fit the seat.  Once I lined up the foam on the chair, I set the foam aside and started stapling the fabric at the back of the chair first.  Then sliding the foam into the pocket, I kept stapling and pulling the fabric to get a tight fit.  When the cushion was completely stapled down, I cut the excess fabric.


As I stapled, I did have a hammer to help hammer in some of the staples into the wood.  To hide the staples, I cut a strip of fabric and twisted, bunched and turned while hot glueing in place.


This old chair had so many possibilities and truthfully I couldn't decide what I was going to do with it.  Red being my favorite color, I figured why not have a little fun with it.  Now my honey can go out into the shed and not complain about tripping over this cute little thing.  

This cute little chair now resides in our home office that I revamped.  I am just not quite done with it.  This going back to work during the school year after being off all summer really cuts into my play time.

Have a great weekend!

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment